Step by Step Information for Couples Getting Married in Queensland, Australia.

It is happening: You are getting married in qld! getting married in qld

In Australia, there is no such thing as a Marriage Licence.  However, before you marry, you must complete, sign and lodge with me, your marriage celebrant, the Notice of Intended Marriage.
This Notice of Intended Marriage must be in my hands at least one month prior to your wedding and no earlier than 18 months before to your wedding day.  You may submit your Notice in person, or email, however you must bring the original Notice of Intended Marriage with you when we meet ‘face to face’. The Notice of Intended Marriage has a life-span of 18 months from the date I receive it.

The Notice of Intended Marriage must be signed in the presence of one of the following:
(a) if you sign the notice in Australia – an authorized marriage celebrant, a Commissioner for Declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959, a justice of the peace, a barrister or solicitor, a legally qualified medical practitioner, or a member of the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a state or territory.

(b) if you sign the notice outside Australia – An Australian Consular Officer, an Australian Diplomatic Officer, a Notary public, an employee of the Commonwealth authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, or an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorized under paragraph 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955.

getting married in qld You must produce either your Birth Certificate (preferred) in English (plus photo ID eg Drivers Licence) or Passport.  If you have been married before, you must also produce proof of cessation of that marriage (eg Divorce Degree/Absolute or Death Certificate).  It is preferable that you email these documents to me and then bring the original documents to the first meeting.  In some circumstances, one signature on the Notice of Intended Marriage is sufficient to start the one month’s notice, process.  (eg you may live in different countries or cities).  However, the Notice of Intended Marriage must be signed by both of you before the marriage can take place.

It may seem a bit daunting, but getting married in qld is not as complicated as it seems at first sight. And you will have your wedding celebrant by your side all the time:  A professional who knows exactly what is needed to make sure you have a wonderful wedding day!

Call Gwen on 0403 164 279 to discuss your wedding!

There may be circumstances where you cannot give the one month’s notice for lodgement of the Notice of Intended Marriage.

There are five categories of circumstances where shortening of time may be allowed when getting married in qld: getting married in qld

  1. Employment related or other travel commitments,
  2. Wedding or celebration arrangements, or religious considerations,
  3. Medical reasons
  4. Legal proceedings
  5. Error in giving notice.

This authority for shortening of time can only be obtained from The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages or the local Magistrates Court.  It is your responsibility to apply for this authority.  Before doing so, you would lodge the Notice of Intended Marriage with me (the marriage celebrant) and I will give you a letter to take to the authority.  You would need to take the appropriate evidence or reason for the shortening of time, to the authority.

For example, one party to the marriage or someone close involved with the proposed wedding may be seriously or terminally ill. In this case, a doctor’s letter would be required to request the shortening of time.

After the authority is given, you return the Notice of Intended of Marriage to me (your marriage celebrant Brisbane).

Other things you must know:

1.The minimum age for marriage in Australia, and for getting married in qld, is 18 years of age. However, there may be some special circumstances where a party under the age of 18 years may marry. Permission must be obtained from a magistrate or judge and parental permission must be given. Two people under the age of 18 years of age cannot marry (ie one of the parties must be over 18 years of age).  A person under the age of 16 cannot marry.

2. On the day of your marriage you must have two witnesses over the age of 18. For elopement ceremonies, I can usually provide these two witnesses, if prior notice is given.

3.If you have been married in a legal ceremony overseas, you are not permitted to have another legal ceremony in Australia. I can perform a ceremony for you. However, it will not be a legal marriage ceremony. It would be a celebration of your overseas marriage.

4. All documents must be in English or translated into English by an official authority. Failure to do so means that I cannot perform a legal marriage ceremony on the wedding day. In which case, I would perform a Commitment Ceremony.


I am happy to officiate at a marriage ceremony/wedding for same sex couples who are getting married in QLD!


Useful Links related to getting married in QLD:

Notice of Intended Marriage

Birth Certificates Qld

Divorce Certificate

Translation of Documents to English –

Marriage of a Minor (Under 18 Years of Age)

Birth Death and Marriages contact details: Phone in Australia 1300366430 or International +61732475811.

Birth Death and Marriages Qld email:

Make an appointment with Gwen so you stay on the right track. Call 0403 164 279